Leap Year is....
A common year has 365 days and a leap year 366 days, with the extra--or intercalary--day designated as February 29. A leap year occurs every four years to help synchronize the calendar year with the solar year, or the length of time it takes the earth to complete its orbit around the sun, which is about 365 and 1/4 days
Since it’s a leap year, I thought I would look at some artistic leaps of faith I’ve made in the art quilt world since the last leap year in 2016. Some have worked out and some have fallen flat. In the end I learn as much from failure and I do success.
Here is my list of artistic "leaps" since 2016
- Attending yearly intensive art quilt workshops with National Teachers
- Submitting to National and International Art Quilt Exhibitions
- Hiring a professional to manage my website
- Moving my studio (and my home) to larger dedicated space
- Buying a HQ Sweet Sixteen
- Entering exhibitions at traditional quilt shows
- Dedicated time and training to improve my quilting
- Created introductory workshops to art quilters
- Participated in a critique group
- Used Social Media platforms as a business tool
- Started a YouTube Channel
- Submitted articles for magazines
- Established a local art quilt group within my traditional guild
- Had an solo exhibition
- Booked a speaking engagement and workshop outside of my local community
Not everything on this list has worked out.
For example I found that teaching introductory workshops and local venues is not interesting to me. As a trained art teacher I love to share my knowledge but getting paid to do so is not a motivation. Time away from my studio is a burden. I needed to find teaching environments were I can feel enriched by the experience.
I have tried a few times to form a critique group without much success over time. As my confidence has grown, I have developed a system for testing ideas outside a group process. Entering shows and social media tracking has helped me get feedback I used to find in critique.
What will be on my next list of artistic leaps?
Expand the number of speaking engagements
Photo to Fabric Workshop Series
Having another solo show
Validate my technical skill with an award at a juried quilt show
Continue to submit articles for publication
Subscription YouTube Channel
On the business side of my leaps:
Increase social media following.
Total Website Refresh
Gallery sales through my website.
Try to publish a book.
Who knows what leaps I’ll take!
Until next time.....